[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Wednesday, August 24th, 2016|
|Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016|
- Mon, 16:58: Ryan Lochte's sponsorship being dropped is a good excuse for the news to say "Speedo" over and over again.
|Monday, August 22nd, 2016|
- Sun, 16:17: Adam Bombs of the�Eighties https://t.co/Mh5SHfn08q https://t.co/MndCjpmuGX
- Mon, 06:23: RT @TheOnlyTrout: If I'm ever murdered, I hope I have enough time to say something as dumb as "ALAS, I AM STRUCK WITH A MORTAL BLOW WITHIN."
- Mon, 06:29: RT @TheDairylandDon: It's weird how Hulk Hogan has the same origin story as Batman; except his parents were murdered by t-shirts.
- Mon, 06:45: RT @SciencePorn: Mathematical Formula Of Cats And Boxes :) https://t.co/ekJDGfhhYC
- Mon, 06:50: RT @ThingsJackDigs: I'm convinced no one has actually read the story of Icarus. http://t.co/TAYxxEaond
- Mon, 06:56: RT @robwhisman: how is sticking the flag up my ass more acceptable than burning it https://t.co/DDldWawJYg
- Mon, 13:58: RT @herdyshepherd1: Washing a sheep's chin https://t.co/5WTafsfLJP
- Mon, 14:30: RT @tinydinosaurs: WHY AREN'T MILLENNIALS BUYING PLASTIC PENNIES? https://t.co/861vCs2nEr
- Mon, 14:32: RT @massedriver: Animal Crossing is a wildly successful franchise because it fulfills the millennial fantasy of owning a house with a yard… </ul
|Sunday, August 21st, 2016|
- Sat, 14:05: I call it EXTREME vetting. It's when you constantly take your pets to the doctor.
- Sat, 15:18: You’ve Come to the Wight Place https://t.co/4GRHhp9pyU https://t.co/aDwWdRD7mY
- Sat, 18:45: Sully has his own movie? What happened to Mike?
- Sat, 23:27: I guess Florence Foster Jenkins was the William Hung of her time.
- Sat, 23:30: The 5000 Fingers of Dr. Pepper #SodaPopAMovie
- Sat, 23:40: Sprite Zero Dark Thirty #SodaPopAMovie
- Sat, 23:41: Pepsi Free Willy #SodaPopAMovie
- Sun, 09:56: 📷 thenevercat: Princess Ozma from the Oz series by L. Frank Baum, illustrations by John R. Neill Happy... https://t.co/wWBM3UoOhU
- Sun, 10:36: Happy Ozma's birthday! How old do you think she is?
|Saturday, August 20th, 2016|
- Fri, 15:11: Who You Callin’ Cracker? https://t.co/5xpuCQo0ct https://t.co/cktxA39vkr
- Fri, 16:21: RT @CulturedRuffian: Apparently that Olympic swimmer Ryan lies a Lochte.
- Fri, 17:15: RT @DanaSchwartzzz: If Jews really run a secret conspiracy leadership we're really bad at it, because Christians have gotten to be presiden…
- Fri, 19:53: RT @drhappyknuckles: I don't know, Ryan Lochte just seems strikes me as kind of a weird choice to head up the new Trump team.
- Fri, 20:24: Just posted a photo @ 86 St. Brooklyn https://t.co/U5x93UTHUA
- Fri, 21:26: Just posted a photo @ 86 St https://t.co/BCXc7pfctU
- Fri, 21:29: Trump's newest campaign slogan? Support for Irish Protestants? https://t.co/aevBDfTEt9
- Sat, 11:38: RT @SleepyJirachi: The original Mario was seemingly sexually attracted to Donkey Komg https://t.co/OR64Z85nqj
- Sat, 11:53: @KatieBurnett Happy birthday!
|Friday, August 19th, 2016|
|Thursday, August 18th, 2016|
|Wednesday, August 17th, 2016|
- Tue, 21:50: Are the Second Amendment People like the Village People, but with firearms?
|Tuesday, August 16th, 2016|
|Monday, August 15th, 2016|
|Cracker vs. Krueger
This past weekend was pretty eventful. On Friday evening, I went to see Cracker at City Winery. I believe it was advertised as an acoustic show, but while David Lowery did play an acoustic guitar, Johnny Hickman played an electric one. They were joined by a guy called Pistol on steel guitar. Most of the cheaper seats at the venue have obstructed views, and none of the pictures I took came out well, but it was still a lot of fun.
The set started with "Pitchforks and Torches," which David said had become much more relevant since he wrote it. I don't remember everything they played, but I'm pretty sure it was the first time I ever heard them do "Dr. Bernice" live. For some reason, somebody cheered after the line that mentions Karen Black. The stripped-down arrangement for "Teen Angst" was pretty cool as well. For the encore, they did a cover of "It Was a Very Good Year," then closed with "King of Bakersfield" because the first line mentions wine. I didn't have any wine at City Winery, but I did have mozzarella flatbread and Diet Coke. David has been in the news recently for his lawsuit against Spotify, which led to an article referring to him as a "cranky rocker" right in the headline
. Funny, I know Taylor Swift didn't let Spotify use her catalog, and I don't recall anyone calling her cranky. It kind of reminded me of the recent Last Week Tonight
bit about journalism, and how you can easily get news for free these days, but people still need to pay for newspapers in order for the journalists to be able to do their jobs. And I don't think it's fair to blame the consumers in such cases. Entertainment is expensive, so who isn't going to take advantage of the ability to get it cheaply or for free? Remember when file sharing was first becoming a thing, and there were arguments that it was hurting record sales, but also that people were being introduced to bands they wouldn't otherwise have heard of? I'm sure both were true, and it's difficult to prove which was more common. But then, artists generally don't make that much from record sales anyway. That said, I did buy both a Cracker compilation including a live recording and a Johnny Hickman solo album at the show, so I'm doing my tiny part.
I took the bus down to South Jersey after the show, and drove to Cherry Hill for the Monster-Mania Convention
the next day. Beth and I were both quite tired, but even the panels that weren't all that interesting tended to go by pretty quickly this time. The panels are often in the form of reunions, which basically means several actors who were in the same movie, and often not the most famous ones.
Lee Majors did the first session, then after him were reunions for Fright Night
, Revenge of the Nerds
, The Fog
, and Halloween 6
We've seen the first and the last of those. I've heard people say the producer's cut of the Halloween
film is better than the official version, but I've also heard it involves Dr. Loomis becoming evil, which doesn't sound right. Apparently there was a lot of difficulty in getting the movie made, including the director finding Loomis' character boring when Donald Pleasence largely carried the earlier movies (well, except 3, which he wasn't in, and neither was Michael Myers).
Jason Patric, who was in The Lost Boys
, had his own question-and-answer session. I have seen that one, but I don't remember it much. It does have the distinction of being the first R-rated movie Beth saw at the theater, but I'm sure that's unrelated to how much attention the convention gives it. Then came two actors from the Bates Motel
television series, followed by five stars of Nightmare on Elm Street 4
These included Robert Englund, who is pretty much just known as Freddy Krueger when he's known at all, but has actually worked with a lot of different actors and done just about every sort of acting work. While he could easily fill an hour by himself, he's also quite good at directing attention to his co-stars. We've made a habit of eating at the nearby Friendly's after the convention, but this time they were out of Diet Coke, and the waiter said he'd accept a coupon but the manager wouldn't take it. He could have told us these things when we first got there.
I started a new temp job today, which is supposed to be full-time for a few months, but today and tomorrow it's only five hours per day. Then I don't come in at all on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Monday. For me, training is pretty much always more tedious than actually doing the work. Current Mood: tired
- Sun, 13:21: RT @NoThoughtsHere: Most psychopaths work this way. Batman never figured out the Joker. America still doesn't understand the Unibomber. htt…
- Sun, 13:25: RT @drewtoothpaste: ME: anyone but trump GARY JOHNSON: I will outlaw schools. JILL STEIN: Crystals are the only technology we need. ME: ok…
- Sun, 13:34: RT @Sickayduh: NBC: remove all tweets with our olympics footage Twitter: of course Girl: a guy is harassing me Twitter: we don't have th…
- Sun, 13:43: RT @david8hughes: [inventor of the piano] Tables aren't noisy enough.
- Sun, 13:46: RT @P0TUS: Donald, stop whining about the NY Times and pick on someone your own size, like the Bugtussel Daily Varmint.
- Sun, 13:52: RT @jonrog1: "I mean, they do this thing where they just play back what I said! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" https://t.co/BhUAOlb066
- Sun, 14:54: RT @middletonlakevi: @Brimshack @realDonaldTrump I hope Trump never gets to show us his version of freedom of the press.
- Sun, 16:31: RT @morninggloria: I one day hope to love something as much as my cat loves every box she's ever seen
- Sun, 17:26: RT @xor: We as a nation signaled that we'd allow a candidate have Trump's relationship to the truth when we agreed to call them "hoverboard…
|Sunday, August 14th, 2016|
- Sat, 13:56: I've got to stop fantasizing about Lee Majors. @ Monster Mania, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Nj https://t.co/ZD3AHeac6W
- Sat, 16:00: RT @elektrotal: @DragonQuest dude, this is a holy relic. No way I'd get rid of it! https://t.co/0UZehCkWix
- Sat, 16:09: @DragonQuest Hungry like the wolf...for more American DQ releases https://t.co/NmLR9d4UEQ
- Sat, 22:10: Stars of Nightmare on Elm Street 4 @ Monster Mania, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Nj https://t.co/OJwqPyo5aS
- Sat, 22:36: RT @meganamram: Cleanliness is next to godliness in a dictionary missing some stuff
|Saturday, August 13th, 2016|
- Fri, 15:50: An appropriate picture for anything involving Rubio⚡ Marco Rubio says Zika-related abortions should be illegal https://t.co/Rf6iktIWXl
- Fri, 19:56: Eating on the road, literally @ Brookyn https://t.co/xkIg82aCr2
- Fri, 20:01: Never knew Brooklyn had a Canaanite population. @ 71st Street https://t.co/NYb8x3cXVe
- Fri, 20:10: RT @farwzaz: pro tip to journalists covering the olympics this year: women have names. use them. https://t.co/vld1EHseDX
- Fri, 20:10: RT @paprbckparadise: $1 #books https://t.co/2XYDYzxN6O
- Fri, 20:13: Freaking out in the afternoon, looking at a daytime moon. (Okay, it was actually evening.) @ New… https://t.co/egFlCy43Ct
- Sat, 00:42: How did Cole Porter think UNeducated fleas reproduced?
- Sat, 01:42: "I lost to a bunch of losers!" -Wario https://t.co/G1UuXkEyBQ
- Sat, 11:30: "Shot put" is such a weird name. What does it have to do with shooting or putting?
|Friday, August 12th, 2016|
|Thursday, August 11th, 2016|
|Wednesday, August 10th, 2016|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Wed, 11:58: For me, EVERY day is #NationalLazyDay. Okay, every day except when I have something to do.
- Wed, 12:00: While part of my mind feels that having multiple people attracted to me is a problem I wish I had, I honestly can see how it would suck.
- Wed, 12:00: It's just kind of hard to feel bad for the popular and attractive.
- Wed, 12:55: Finally read the Princeless story that @Secondlina illustrated. Nice work!
- Wed, 13:39: RT @FattMernandez: Michael Phelps has 19 gold medals. He only needs 81 more to get an extra life.
- Wed, 13:39: RT @laurenfrandsen: Kylie Jenner is killing innocent Pokemon for her handbag collection. #boycottkylie https://t.co/Fimz1IoSn0
- Wed, 13:48: RT @DragonQuest: It's #WorldLionDay but we all know who the real king of the jungle is... https://t.co/IsxJ8VyPaS
- Wed, 13:50: RT @SamuelAAdams: In fairness, there’s a reasonable chance Trump doesn’t know which one the second amendment is.
- Wed, 13:57: Satan is a collector. He doesn't want YOUR soul any more than a Pok�mon card collector wants another Pikachu.
- Wed, 14:00: RT @FLOOKLYN: Nukes?! I wouldn't even give #trump the password to his Twitter account. I wouldn't even trust him with the code to 50 liv…
|Tuesday, August 9th, 2016|
|Monday, August 8th, 2016|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Sun, 18:04: Just posted a photo @ Philadelphia City Hall https://t.co/XolBFgGIme
- Mon, 06:45: Is Irish Spring soap named after the season, the body of water, or the bouncy thing?
- Mon, 06:49: RT @drhappyknuckles: The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making a coin vanish & then pulling it out of my son's ear. Satan is grea…
- Mon, 11:49: Wally often looks like he's about to fall out of this bed. https://t.co/GgVw7eaVqW
- Mon, 11:53: Prints by @vincentmyrand #ozconphilly #ozmaofoz #thescarecrowofoz #returntooz #wickedwitchofthewest https://t.co/RfvpahGIGb
- Mon, 11:56: Scarecrow suncatcher #ozconphilly https://t.co/KMppbVgDc1
- Mon, 13:26: OzConPhilly Back Again https://t.co/DzADriqLXk https://t.co/abEJHzkbbw
- Mon, 14:56: I realize you can't always tell from public behavior, but does Trump show any affection for Melania at all?
- Mon, 14:59: There's so much to do in the sunlight. #internationalcatday https://t.co/mz7zIVo2sb
- Mon, 15:04: RT @LaceyNycole: Just trying to find a Snorlax in the streets but a Whorelax in the sheets... https://t.co/lCHHEcb9j3
|Sunday, August 7th, 2016|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Sat, 16:05: Dina Massachi discusses Matilda Joslyn Gage #ozconphilly @ Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown… https://t.co/77vVTLi6Xp
- Sat, 16:35: Noel Reich #ozconphilly @ Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown Rittenhouse Square https://t.co/nuj5BoyARP
- Sat, 17:03: Alan Wise (no relation to Sir Solomon Tremendous Wise, I suppose) #ozconphilly @ Sonesta… https://t.co/Mkoa1OO5pO
- Sat, 18:06: The Oz Spangled Banner #ozconphilly @ Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown Rittenhouse Square https://t.co/GMbzdMi9O0
- Sat, 18:21: Just recently found out that Margaret Berg died. :( We wrote some letters in the 90s. And "The Reading Tree of Oz" hasn't been published.
- Sat, 18:39: Centerpiece #ozconphilly @ Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown Rittenhouse Square https://t.co/il3bPOptp6
- Sat, 20:29: Angelica Shirley Carpenter #ozconphilly @ Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown Rittenhouse Square https://t.co/rcpmZnfgh6
- Sat, 20:32: Preview of Edward Einhorn's "Life and Adventures of Santa Claus" opera #ozconphilly @ Sonesta… https://t.co/GQrDuiNrhj
- Sun, 01:01: Tonight, you could get a blown-up Oz illustration for $10. I got this one, but I won't be able… https://t.co/eiK0eWh8Fw
- Sun, 04:39: In non-Oz news, I unexpectedly heard "Bike Ride to the Moon" on the radio. @xtcfans
|Saturday, August 6th, 2016|
- Fri, 22:12: John Fricke #ozconphilly @ Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown Rittenhouse Square https://t.co/FVaBeN1I0K
- Fri, 23:28: RT @TeaPartyCat: STOP FEAR MONGERING! Trump won’t use nukes rashly. He’ll only use nuclear weapons under grave circumstances, like being in…
- Sat, 07:58: Out at midnight, back by 8 AM. It's a double shift of Oz. #OzConPhilly
- Sat, 08:09: Are you a good witch or a bad witch? #ozconphilly @ Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown Rittenhouse… https://t.co/eW7lSMTvYU
- Sat, 08:56: Polychrome, Scraps, Ozma, the Cowardly Lion, and a guard. I really need to get a costume… https://t.co/Ksq5DhGys9
- Sat, 08:58: Half a witch #ozconphilly @ Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown Rittenhouse Square https://t.co/3yjZtNZCGD
- Sat, 10:40: Michael Patrick Hearn with Dorothy Curtiss Maryott, Ruth Plumly Thompson's niece #ozconphilly @… https://t.co/HsgDt7ofjL