[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Saturday, February 24th, 2018|
|I Want to Be Punk Rock, Don't You?
I did end up going to the third of Kim Boekbinder's shows this month on the Lower East Side, and that was pretty fun. She had horn players this time, one on trumpet, one trombone, and one tuba.
The opener was a band called Citrusphere, made up of two members who did electronic music.
Kim asked if anyone had attended the other shows this month and then that we were her favorite people, but I'm not going to hold her to that. Next week's set will apparently be longer. She mentioned that a song she did back in the day with her sister Zoe is being used in a movie, so that's pretty cool. I doubt it means she'll be playing the song live, since it doesn't really fit her current setup, but who knows? Zoe is also coming out with an album after a long break.
On Thursday, Beth and I saw our second Kevin Geeks Out show with Kevin Maher (our first was a Christmas one in December
), this one at the Nitehawk in Williamsburg. That's a part of Brooklyn that's largely inaccessible from the rest of the borough, so it's kind of a pain to get there and back. We ended up taking a Lyft back home. Before the show, we ate at a place called Pies 'n' Thighs, which served Southern-style fried chicken. It was good, but I probably shouldn't have had a big lunch beforehand. Two thighs, a leg, and a biscuit were surprisingly filling. We got to the show really early because we didn't have anything else to do, and got seats in the second row. The theme of this show was punk rock, a topic I know little about. I never went through a punk phase, or any other kind of trendy phase. I purposely wore weird clothes, but there wasn't much rhyme or reason to them; I just always kind of liked to combine things I had lying around in strange ways. We heard from Kirk Thatcher, the guy who played the punk on the bus whom Spock nerve pinches in Star Trek IV
; he wasn't there, but Kevin called him on the phone.
He was Leonard Nimoy's assistant at the time, and he wrote the song as well as playing the part. Interestingly, the song, "I Hate You," was also used in Back to the Beach
. Beth and I had recently watched the DVD of Pee-wee's Big Adventure
with the deleted scenes, and Kevin talked about one of them, where the Amazing Larry was introduced and Pee-wee suggested he get a punk makeover. While this is fascinating, it's actually kind of funnier when the character appears with no previous indication as to who he is. There was a point-by-point comparison of the Sex Pistols movie The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle
and the Monkees' Head
, the gist being that the latter fit the punk aesthetic a lot better, despite coming out before punk rock was a thing, as it's rumored to have been made to purposely alienate the fan base. Another presenter discussed Pink Flamingos
as a very punk kind of film as well, with a mention that he thinks punk is more about being wise-ass than bad-ass. Or was that the other speaker who talked about wrestling? It was sort of a running theme of the night. I can approve of that, as I think the tough-guy image is too prominent in society to really be effective counterculture. Even if you're breaking the law, you're still promoting patriarchy and macho posturing. Just remember that nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor. We also saw highlights from an episode of Quincy
that's considered part of the punk package because of how much it gets wrong. I'd heard of the last guest, Tenebrous Kate
, from a mutual friend of ours, and I mentioned to her after the show that I knew him. Her part was to talk about punk bands in Japan, including one that formed because they thought the others were too easy to listen to. There's going to be another one of these shows in March at the Alamo Drafthouse (much easier to get to) about women's wrestling
. Current Mood: hungry
- Fri, 16:41: RT @sarahchad_: We should change the names of AR-15s to “Marco Rubio” because they are so easy to buy.
- Fri, 17:32: I'm guessing Wayne LaPierre's favorite book of the Bible is Joshua.
- Fri, 17:46: RT @fart: my fiuture son Chorshua after fiat currency is outlawed: father, how was the block chain invented me, looking old but still pret…
- Fri, 18:10: What did they call over-involved parents before Leonardo da Vinci?
- Fri, 18:16: Considering Marco Rubio an adult is a bit of a gray area, I'd say. https://t.co/zQcoRx7Ytv
- Fri, 18:30: RT @tara_mulholland: I saw this medieval illumination of an oyster last week and it hasn't left my head since https://t.co/PBsC3RYQkw
- Fri, 23:01: Orgodemir or Bust https://t.co/NUA7wzrItu https://t.co/mYWN9pSHGL
|Friday, February 23rd, 2018|
|Thursday, February 22nd, 2018|
- Wed, 13:35: Any suggestions for what to do to celebrate our tenth anniversary? I'm terrible at coming up with such things.
- Wed, 13:36: RT @wbtphdjd: #MAGA: https://t.co/PXWiVOT0Qy
- Wed, 13:55: The Russian propaganda bots are an affront to all of us who thoughts robots were cool.
- Wed, 13:59: RT @bessbell: RT if you've had even a single a teacher who shouldn't have a gun. https://t.co/NpJvj4bDp6
- Wed, 15:08: Never really got why fake followers would be desirable. To me, they're just annoying. I guess they're popular with… https://t.co/Z4WY2OVF5m
- Wed, 15:36: You know why I think Republican talking heads insist anti-gun groups are paying kids to promote their agenda? Becau… https://t.co/eoQDH2CT8y
- Wed, 17:06: RT @RF_P0TUS: Dear South Korea: When we send out government folks, we don't send out our best. They're crooks, thieves, skeeves, and klepto…
- Wed, 17:28: RT @wbtphdjd: #MAGA. Thanks, Christians: https://t.co/zyqyy5fKhc
|Wednesday, February 21st, 2018|
- Tue, 19:48: No, the big question is whether they should be promoting opinions by cranky old bullies who harass women and abuse… https://t.co/tluTMbhM1a
- Tue, 19:58: RT @TheTweetOfGod: Good on you, Mike! May I recommend the part where Lot offers his daughters up to a raging mob to be gang-raped because t…
- Tue, 20:01: RT @ChristnNitemare: Hahaha, this is great! Does anyone know who made this? https://t.co/xMnjkhincd cc: @VicBergerIV @superdeluxe https://t…
- Tue, 20:10: RT @HollywoodPalms: A note of apology to the people who complained about our #BlackPanther posts, saying "Wakanda isn't real": https://t.co…
- Wed, 08:01: RT @SamSykesSwears: GOP: "Kids these days are too soft. They need to toughen up." Kids: "We live with the possibility that we'll be shot to…
- Wed, 08:11: RT @kurteichenwald: On hearing that another student killed 17 kids at a school shooting, if your first thoughts were about the Second Amend…
- Wed, 11:27: RT @KevinMKruse: Everyone is focused right now on the fact that Dinesh D'Souza is a horrible person, but let's not lose sight of the fact t…
|Tuesday, February 20th, 2018|
|Monday, February 19th, 2018|
|Sunday, February 18th, 2018|
|Saturday, February 17th, 2018|
|Friday, February 16th, 2018|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Thu, 12:19: Thoughts AND prayers? Whoa, let's not go nuts!
- Thu, 13:06: RT @nwg83: Let’s rename ‘school’ as ‘uterus’ so maybe Republican lawmakers will want to do something about the children dying inside them.
- Thu, 13:18: "If parents didn't want their kids to be shot, they wouldn't have sent them to public school." -Betsy DeVos, probably
- Thu, 13:35: RT @FrankConniff: If you are the victim of a mass shooting, Republicans will send you thoughts and prayers. If you are the perpetrator of a…
- Thu, 13:38: RT @TeaPartyCat: Donald Trump: “There have been no school shootings in the past 3 minutes, thanks to my great leadership, so stop saying we…
- Thu, 13:40: RT @MyDaughtersArmy: “You’re afraid we will take away your guns. We’re afraid your guns will take away our children. We haven’t taken any…
- Thu, 13:40: RT @EJT___: Carrie Bradshaw and her gal pals navigate the foibles of living with Germanic tribes near the North Sea coast... Saxon the City
- Thu, 21:14: RT @SuperMarioFact: Official artwork of Star World from Super Mario World. https://t.co/AdjluqThN9
- Thu, 21:21: I thought of this, too. And how did they keep him both alive and docile on the ship? https://t.co/k9Vmx0UErD
- Thu, 22:18: Gotta Nuke Something https://t.co/rhnNCTSlph https://t.co/EeJYsW56oR
|Thursday, February 15th, 2018|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Wed, 13:34: If God put Trump in power, does that mean he wasn't legally elected? Or did God influence people's votes and make a… https://t.co/b0pONspS53
- Wed, 13:57: Happy Valentine's Day! Wait, did I make a typo in my image search? https://t.co/9NxXvRowtU
- Wed, 14:05: RT @drmistercody: I hope there are only Black Panther movies from now on so Ben spends the rest of his life shouting, "Slowly giving you ri…
- Wed, 16:57: I'm pro-choice, but I can understand being anti-abortion. I CAN'T understand prioritizing it over rape, domestic ab… https://t.co/drwTAleh1g
- Wed, 17:39: RT @ohemgeeijizzed: Oh, you're single on Valentine's Day?? Well some people don't even have a groundhog on Groundhog Day. Check your privil…
- Wed, 19:50: Okay, in case anyone wanted the conclusion, my second attempt at System Restore worked, so that's a relief.
- Wed, 19:50: RT @everyfan3417: Happy velinktimes day to ever wanna y'all!! 😘 https://t.co/v9z4acFw2J
- Wed, 22:18: I Have Your Heart https://t.co/l0dikY8775
- Thu, 08:03: RT @parkerrsimmons: A Wet Kisser from Dragon Quest. Happy Valentines Day! https://t.co/CqHFypJ1T5
- Thu, 08:04: Every dog has its day, but now they get a year. #LunarNewYear
|Wednesday, February 14th, 2018|
|I Have Your Heart
So, today is Valentine's Day, as well as Ash Wednesday for the Catholics. I guess the former is technically a Catholic holiday too, as it's ST. Valentine's, but it's gained a more secular following. And like many holidays, it has its roots in a Roman festival.
A lot of people hate it, too. It was never that big of a deal to me; I've been in a relationship for a long time, but can't recall really thinking about it that much when I was single. But I guess I get it in the sense that people want to participate in things, and it's sort of a holiday where adults don't get to unless they're involved with someone. I was thinking of the feeling of being left out for a different reason recently, because I attended the first two shows of Kim Boekbinder's residency on the Lower East Side. They were fun, but I went to them alone, and that can be a bit uncomfortable when it seems like everyone else there knows other people (and, at a small show like these, sometimes even the performers). I've pretty much always felt the loneliest when I was around other people interacting and apparently having fun; actually being alone doesn't bother me as much, nor does being around other people when we're all watching something, like, well, a show. But the intermissions can be difficult.
Anyway, Kim is doing a show at a bar called Berlin every Monday this month, which means two of them are now over. I don't know if I'm going to the other two or not; I'd like to, but it's kind of annoying since they're on work nights. The first one featured Veronica Varlow, a burlesque dancer who's also worked with Emilie Autumn.
In fact, I'm almost finished reading Emilie's book, and there's a character based on her in it. The second show had an opener, VNESSWOLFCHILD, who did a positive, earthy sort of music. It was perhaps a little TOO positive for my taste, but they put on a good show, complete with props and the lead singer standing on her head.
Kim had string players this time, two violinists and a cellist.
She did a lot of the same songs both times, but they did sound different with the strings. It seems like she's focusing on her last two albums, which were mostly electronic. I'd have liked to hear some older songs, but maybe they wouldn't have worked with the setup, or she just didn't want to play them. She's said she's dressing in one predominant color each month, and this month it's orange.
Today, Beth and I went out for an early dinner at Burger Bistro, not exactly a fancy restaurant, but fancier than having leftovers. She gave me some presents, and while I ordered some for her, they haven't arrived yet. Our tenth anniversary is coming up; we were married on the twenty-ninth, so whether we celebrate on the twenty-eighth or the first depends on what else is going on around then. We'd been thinking of going back to Disney World this year, but I don't know that that's going to work out with our work schedules. Any ideas for what we can do for our Tin Anniversary?
I'm probably going to go to OzCon (where, coincidentally enough, the theme is The Tin Woodman of Oz
) without Beth again this year. I'm not sure what I should do about hotel rooms. Should I get a double in case I can find a roommate, and just eat the extra cost if I don't? Current Mood: relieved
( Read more...Collapse )
- Tue, 13:47: RT @benicus_rex: Interview with the Vampire (1994) https://t.co/aPJwVrSnuW
- Tue, 13:56: RT @tonyposnanski: Betsy DeVos is trending which means one of three things... 1. She is taking rights away from students. 2. She is monet…
- Tue, 13:57: RT @BrennanLM: Hey gang, Ozymandias here! Thanks as always for looking on my works, and if you liked what you saw don't forget to click "De…
- Tue, 15:41: RT @Jake_Vig: If you told me that the White House Chief of Staff position was now filled by a monkey dressed like a cowboy riding a border…
- Tue, 15:47: Why do so many trailers for films based on classic children's books try so hard to look hip and modern? The stories… https://t.co/hTQYLlEbDd
- Tue, 17:47: RT @pixelatedboat: Annual reminder that Valentine’s Day was a scam invented by Goodyear to sell all the heart-shaped tires their factory ma…
- Tue, 17:50: RT @EJT___: Jealous of all the attention Godzilla was getting, his mom just ate an entire high rise apartment block. It was Munch Housin'…
- Tue, 22:48: RT @SMWikiOfficial: Get your official mariowiki Valentine Day's card https://t.co/dwgAxcYmxK
- Wed, 08:11: When I got up this morning, my computer had restarted and wouldn't boot up. I really hope I don't have to do a fact… https://t.co/eUXB5QfFGj
- Wed, 08:43: It's baffling to me that, when radical right-wingers are running the country, left-leaning media outlets are hiring… https://t.co/MrsoYzZyT2
|Tuesday, February 13th, 2018|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Mon, 13:25: What is Jeanine Pirro a judge OF? I'm going to guess child beauty pageants.
- Mon, 13:27: I always hated them, but now they're essentially toilet paper fetish porn. https://t.co/S5PvOXT7Wa
- Mon, 13:38: Am I to understand that Trump, who promised better conditions for the rural working class, now employs someone NAME… https://t.co/cTmw0Z4cY6
- Mon, 13:44: RT @chaeronaea: ME, watching the olympic ice dancing: this is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life. this is the pinnacle of…
- Mon, 13:51: RT @InternetHippo: [meeting at the headquarters of literally any app] good morning everyone, let's get started. the first and only item on…
- Mon, 13:54: RT @jdcrowley: It’s almost as if this shit is all largely imaginary and fluctuations don’t really matter, providing a terrible barometer fo…
- Mon, 15:49: RT @TheOrchidShow: I think the main issue with civilization is that we've reached a point where we could wake up to the news that something…
- Mon, 15:59: A long-standing favorite of mine. https://t.co/oKTgaNNfO2
- Mon, 17:57: The radio station playing in this pizza place uses "Spanish Flea" as the background music for the traffic report. M… https://t.co/YWO9ydWzJb
- Mon, 18:13: RT @AndrewNadeau0: HIM: Do you know what horses are? MEDIEVAL ARTIST: Ha ha! Of course I know horkses! HIM: Horses. MEDIEVAL ARTIST:…Horp-h…
|Sunday, February 11th, 2018|
|Saturday, February 10th, 2018|
- Fri, 20:37: When you reach the part on an RPG where there's basically nothing to do other than fight the final boss, it can get… https://t.co/B3WNf9O4GY
- Fri, 20:50: RT @MegaMan: 19XX: A group of construction robots enjoy lunch atop a skyscraper. https://t.co/ew8YWPXf61
- Fri, 21:09: RT @parkerrsimmons: A Ghost from Dragon Quest. https://t.co/EVJbV7KvkG
- Sat, 10:10: RT @pixelatedboat: So cruel that in the biathlon they make the athletes build a snowman then pick up a rifle and execute the snowman
- Sat, 10:12: RT @david_gatewood: STING: Sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS, COAST GUAR…
|Friday, February 9th, 2018|
- Thu, 19:17: RT @jesseltaylor: “You want regular or sweet potato fries with that?” QUINCY JONES: “You know who liked sweet potato fries?” “Who?” QU…
- Fri, 08:10: RT @TeaPainUSA: Remember when we used to judge a President by his ability to handle a crisis, not create them?
- Fri, 08:16: RT @edsbs: Me: Mr. Jones, let me start with a simple quest-- Quincy Jones: Ray Charles could fly a plane Me: I'm sorry what QJ: It's craz…
- Fri, 08:20: RT @pablohidalgo: My favorite tweet about R-rated kids content. https://t.co/acp3GhzQpG
- Fri, 10:44: If someone asked Quincy Jones about working on "The Wiz," would he talk about how he actually went to Oz?
|Thursday, February 8th, 2018|
- Wed, 13:24: RT @pixelatedboat: Elon Musk: *fires a car into space* Me: That’s great, Elon, but why don’t you do something about poverty Elon Musk: Sure…
- Wed, 13:25: RT @pixelatedboat: Trump: I want a big military parade. With a Garfield balloon, like in the Macy’s parade. And a balloon of me, bigger tha…
- Wed, 13:31: I think Trump didn't catch the sarcasm when someone asked him, "So what do you want, a parade?"
- Wed, 13:35: RT @KaraCalavera: Perhaps the flu wouldn't spread so fast if the people serving food and cashing out purchases got sick pay. You can't just…
- Wed, 13:38: Since when does the guy from the Dream Syndicate own casinos?
- Wed, 21:22: Disney Does Dali https://t.co/Hu6PgUrDxR https://t.co/mVNZ7W9q4t
|Wednesday, February 7th, 2018|
- Tue, 13:27: Tonight, we are young. Tomorrow, we suddenly age prematurely.
- Tue, 13:28: RT @PleaseBeGneiss: So you brush your teeth with hair on a stick and brush your hair with teeth on a stick. Humans, you've made it.
- Tue, 13:31: RT @Chumpstring: ATTORNEY ON TV: if you’re the mother of a child who stepped on a crack before 2016 and as a result you suffered a broken b…
- Tue, 14:52: There should be a store that sells both amphibians and auto parts called Axolotls and Lots o' Axles.
- Tue, 16:38: RT @walruslifestyle: well well well, looks like we're all conveniently forgetting David Bowie kidnapped a baby and tried to turn him into a…
- Tue, 21:49: Pretty lame fortune anyway, but does whoever wrote it even know who the President is? https://t.co/m38IKFk8qA
- Tue, 22:39: My French bird from Target https://t.co/RRNpDxdePy
- Wed, 11:22: The Dragonlord revealed his true self! Command? https://t.co/rWsW2QqiGo
|Tuesday, February 6th, 2018|
- Mon, 13:46: Heard a lot of dumb gender stereotypes in my time, but women not liking crunchy things is a new one on me. https://t.co/EYU1h0mUA0
- Mon, 13:59: RT @mason_jay42: t-rex: aye look a shooting star make a wish raptor: i wish i was dead t-rex: lmao t-rex: t-rex: t-rex: aye that shit looks…
- Mon, 18:26: I hear they're also making a cereal specifically for women, Cap'n Crunchless.
- Mon, 18:31: RT @KeepMNBlue: I've heard from my inside snack sources that the new Lady Doritos bags have inspiring slogans pasted on them like "You shou…
- Mon, 19:11: RT @SuperMarioFact: Clawgrip, in a stereotypical pirate accent, will exclaim "Yar! You'll make a tasty treat!" and begin to throw boulders.
- Mon, 19:17: RT @lindachilders1: Breaking news: Mike Pence not allowed to be in the same room as Lady Doritos unless he is accompanied by “Mother.”
- Mon, 19:29: As far as I know, Nintendo has only confirmed that the mushroom cap is a natural part of Toad's head, not whether or not it's removable.
- Mon, 22:02: @kimboekbinder and @veronicavarlow @ Berlin - Under A https://t.co/XPKeFOjJol