[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Wednesday, December 18th, 2013|
|Tuesday, December 17th, 2013|
- Mon, 13:33: Fox News is concerned that people could be forced into programs resembling Medicaid. Wait, why is that a bad thing?
- Mon, 13:43: There's a company called FoodQuest, which I think might also be an Atari game.
|Monday, December 16th, 2013|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Sun, 12:25: Put the Christ back in Chris Christie!
- Sun, 12:27: RT @AtheistQ: "If creationism is to be taught in biology does that mean alchemy is back on the curriculum for chemistry?" -Anonymous.
- Sun, 12:47: Hey, Fox News, wouldn't a more inclusive Santa mean more acknowledgement of Christmas, which is what you supposedly want?
- Sun, 12:48: RT @P0TUS: BREAKING: @MegynKelly asserts that "the white Easter Bunny cannot possibly bring colored eggs"
- Sun, 12:58: Wonder what Megyn Kelly thinks of Black Pete.
- Sun, 15:02: Peter and the Frauds http://t.co/Csti9hWH14
- Sun, 16:32: Going to the Moon http://t.co/GkMU1Vj48f
- Sun, 16:34: I wrote another Oz story. http://t.co/gixC6Cqx8f
- Sun, 16:35: If we have to #PraytoEndAbortion, doesn't that imply God doesn't have a problem with it unless we petition him?
- Sun, 18:53: I'm against pre-release hype in general. The old "this album is ready, but you can't BUY it" model never made sense to me.
|Sunday, December 15th, 2013|
|Going to the Moon
Hey, I've finally written another short story! I don't know why, but my writing often seems to come in short bursts. I'll be totally unmotivated for months, then suddenly sit down and crank out a draft in just a few sittings. I'll get to the actual piece in a little bit, but first some background information.
One topic I find myself frequently coming back to is that of fiction and mythology set on the Moon, particularly that predating mankind actually making the giant leap to there in 1969. Earlier this year, I examined the short film A Trip to the Moon
, as well as the alleged visits by Lucian of Samosata and Baron Munchausen
. And about four years ago, I gave a brief overview of lunar folklore from around the world
, including the Man in the Moon and other supposed inhabitants of the place. One element that interested me was that, while many cultures see a man when they look at the Moon, it's common in China and Japan to see a rabbit instead. Then there's the fact that the Man in the Moon makes appearances as a rather eccentric character in a few works by L. Frank Baum. He's the protagonist of a story in Mother Goose in Prose
, puts in a brief cameo in Queen Zixi of Ix
, and is depicted in one of John R. Neill's illustrations for Ozma of Oz
. Chris Dulabone's recent Three-Headed Elvis Clone Found in Flying Saucer Over Oz
uses the character as well. And there's a brief mention in Ruth Plumly Thompson's The Enchanted Island of Oz
of King Rupert of Kapurta "looking thoughtfully up at the moon," which I've seen interpreted (although I forget just where) as an indication that he might want to visit there. So I decided to take an idea I'd had for some time and tie it all together, resulting in a story that's both a sequel to Enchanted Island
and a mixture of Moon mythology. Enchanted Island
was published in 1976, but since it's based on a manuscript Thompson wrote in the fifites, Joe Bongiorno's Royal Timeline of Oz
places it in 1953. This date means that I could have Thompson's characters visiting the Moon some time before the Apollo 11 mission (or ANY space missions, for that matter), but unfortunately also meant I couldn't tie in Yankee's lunar orbit from Yankee in Oz
. The idea of the Man in the Moon's wife being a giantess actually comes from a Thompson short story, "The Giant Who Did Not Believe in People," which appears in her Wonder Book
. Anyway, without further delay, here's the story:( Read more...Collapse )
So, what do you think? Too loony for you, perhaps? Current Mood: accomplished
- Sat, 15:09: I had hoped snow would mean less customers, but no dice.
- Sat, 15:12: RT @AtheistQ: "The fact that we can judge the morality of a religion clearly indicates that morals are grounded in something else." -Anonym…
- Sat, 15:14: RT @BinaShah: Seriously men, if you can't "control" yourself around a woman, lock yourself up, not her, in a burqa, niqab, or your house.
- Sat, 20:42: RT @bridger_w: To me, suicide seems selfish. For all I know, someone else might want to kill me
- Sun, 00:44: Tartarus Sauce http://t.co/kXwpoPUqRe
|Saturday, December 14th, 2013|
|Friday, December 13th, 2013|
|Thursday, December 12th, 2013|
- Wed, 14:06: RT @3x1minus1: R. Kelly is on The View and Jenny McCarthy is fawning all over how great it is that all his songs are "about sex." The world…
- Wed, 14:12: RT @1MoreCastle: Grab your overalls and pinch your nose - it's the Top 10 Sewer Levels, delivered by @Woodyman_g1 http://t.co/FPVjzhIIO4 #r…
- Wed, 14:20: St. Nick couldn't remember if there was a state between Maryland and North Carolina. Yes, Santa Claus, there IS a Virginia.
- Wed, 15:24: Carpeting the Gaps http://t.co/uBVJaxXKyh
- Wed, 21:18: Photo: best-of-funny: snakevenomisdelicious: I refuse to believe Fox News is real anymore. X I love that... http://t.co/uhx3rdq3K1
- Wed, 23:23: RT @angelamelick: I love how meme culture has derived two completely distinct versions of "incorrect English" for cats and dogs.
- Wed, 23:24: RT @drewtoothpaste: Scientists think the universe is a hologram, which fits perfectly with my theory that Jem is our creator
- Wed, 23:47: Why is there no health insurance for marsupials? They have to pay out of pocket!
|Wednesday, December 11th, 2013|
- Tue, 19:39: Michael Bolton makes me ashamed to drive a Honda.
- Tue, 20:24: For everyone who likes watching underwear models with birdcages on their heads, the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is on tonight.
- Wed, 11:51: I'm making a movie about cowboys that mocks Creationism. It's a flying spaghetti monster western.
|Monday, December 9th, 2013|
|Sunday, December 8th, 2013|
|Saturday, December 7th, 2013|
|Friday, December 6th, 2013|
|Thursday, December 5th, 2013|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Wed, 14:21: Sarah Palin feels particularly qualified to write a book about Christmas because she lives so close to Santa Claus.
- Wed, 18:26: Remember when you had to pay by the minute for home Internet, then they made it unlimited? Why are cell phone data plans doing the reverse?
- Wed, 20:27: RT @Disalmanac: Today in 771, Charlemagne became King of the Franks, which meant all the hot dogs he could eat for life. Yay!
- Wed, 20:29: RT @joshgondelman: Harry Potter's grandkids will probably get super uptight when he just throws the word "muggle" around like it's the earl…
- Wed, 20:43: Actually, Beyonce, the female version of a hustler is a hustless. Nowadays, though "hustler" is a gender-neutral term.
- Wed, 20:49: RT @mattkoff: "I see the Ira Glass as half full."-Ira Glass in the middle of a meal
- Wed, 20:55: There are TV commercials for Facebook games now?
- Wed, 22:38: RT @antijokeapple: Knock Knock "Who's there?" Doorbell repairman.
- Wed, 22:40: RT @JonathanJewel: Sarah Palin is calling the shots at @msnbc - http://t.co/LIBVtKedFL
- Wed, 22:40: RT @choptopmoseley: Deck the halls with boughs of holly...Deck 'em, dammit! http://t.co/wKK1AVHgTG
|Wednesday, December 4th, 2013|
|Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013|
|Monday, December 2nd, 2013|
- Sun, 17:57: Someone today exchanged a Mickey for a Minnie. I thought that was interesting.
- Sun, 17:57: Ford, Black Friday is over. Show a new commercial already.
- Sun, 21:15: Mission: Apostle http://t.co/QFdXBWjOtg
- Mon, 00:22: Bill O'Reilly is still trying to sell his War on Christmas. He's been at this for years, and Christmas is still promoted just as heavily.
- Mon, 10:42: It's Cyber Monday, although why we need a day for pretending to have sex over the Internet is beyond me.
|Sunday, December 1st, 2013|
- Sun, 09:53: Saw a car carrier at the turnpike tollbooth. Wonder if they have to pay for each car.
|Saturday, November 30th, 2013|
- Fri, 16:32: People want a Marvel movie featuring a female hero before Loki gets his own film. They should split the difference and make one about Thokk.
- Fri, 16:38: RT @Disalmanac: Today is Black Friday, the day we all go the mall and catch the Black Death.
- Fri, 16:45: Turns out that the map on the back of the Declaration of Independence just leads to Ben Franklin's porn stash.
- Fri, 16:56: RT @TheTweetOfGod: Do you love your family enough to trample other shoppers? If not, you're a horrible person.
- Fri, 16:56: RT @Disalmanac: Today in 1963, the Beatles released "I Want To Hold Your Hand." Tragically, this led directly to "Simply Having A Wonderful…
- Fri, 18:49: RT @Disalmanac: Today in 1947, the United Nations passed a resolution calling for Palestine to be partitioned between Arabs and Jews. So th…
- Fri, 18:50: RT @P0TUS: Black Friday *is* the War on Christmas.
- Sat, 11:39: Our Lady of Mercy http://t.co/KuG6Jhw7SX
|Friday, November 29th, 2013|