[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Monday, February 8th, 2016|
- Sun, 16:05: RT @P0TUS: Shorter Marco Roboto: "Obama's trying to cram million of jobs down our throats and take away our cancers" #RubioGlitch #GOPDeba…
- Sun, 16:18: If commercials are any indication, you can get laid if you buy a woman a teddy bear. Because nothing says sexy like a children's toy.
- Sun, 17:16: RT @QwertyJones3: "Let's call our band the Mighty Bosstones." Nah, that's not mighty enough. "Ok I know how to fix that."
- Sun, 18:37: Obviously both teams are going to lose, because America doesn't win anymore.
- Sun, 18:41: RT @SteveMartinToGo: I don't think it's right when they call linemen "offensive."
- Sun, 18:45: RT @Lexialex: https://t.co/H2hOm2pD2W
- Sun, 19:01: Happy birthday, @eehouls!
- Sun, 19:03: RT @ImPaulGale: Do you think if we gave them all the same shirts they'd stop fighting?
- Sun, 19:17: "Superb Owl" was clever at first, but now it's a bit played out.
|Sunday, February 7th, 2016|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Sat, 14:39: People who beg for nude pics are kicking themselves to find out all they needed to do was insult Susan Sarandon.
- Sat, 15:15: Almost time for the Big Game, by which I mean the New Hampshire primary.
- Sat, 16:09: Waluigi is the true power behind the Vatican. #WaluigiFacts
- Sat, 17:24: RT @ericsmithrocks: Users: I need a way to report violently racist monsters who- Twitter: HAVE A NEW TIMELINE. Users: That's not what- T…
- Sat, 17:37: DON'T FOLLOW ME. I'M CHASING A STRING. #CatBumperStickers
- Sat, 17:40: RT @jennypencil: A neurologist (non-Democrat, for the record) drills down on why Ted Cruz’s face seems so creepy. https://t.co/to98prBVc7
- Sat, 17:59: RT @mattselman: Fox Standards had no problem with this line for some reason https://t.co/148adatA6P
- Sat, 18:03: RT @QwertyJones3: This chicken wire is a total cock block.
- Sat, 18:03: RT @StarWarsProblms: Darth Vader lived every man’s dream: He quit his job by tossing his boss down a bottomless pit.
- Sat, 20:32: "Obama is trying to change this country. If I'm elected, I'll make sure there's no progress whatsoever." -Ted Cruz #GOPDebate
|Saturday, February 6th, 2016|
- Fri, 17:02: Waluigi picks up extra work as one of those arm-waving things at a car dealership. #WaluigiFacts
- Fri, 23:48: Kasich plans to reunite Pink Floyd, but Carson will reanimate Syd Barrett's brain.
|Friday, February 5th, 2016|
- Thu, 13:05: What Fat-Shamers Are Really Saying When They Bully and Harass Fat People https://t.co/VhE9YGrHqZ
- Thu, 14:31: 📷 Mushroom World Map by Walkazo, loosely based on Eurasia Pretty cool, although I wouldn’t think... https://t.co/MvZqOTiA2L
- Thu, 15:38: In "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator," the Vice President is the President's bossy mom. I think Jeb wants to make that reality.
- Thu, 20:49: RT @yotwhopper: [Bible outtake] Guard: *hits thumb w/ hammer* dangit! Jesus [nailed to cross]: *chuckles* you uh want a hand with that? *ev…
- Thu, 20:50: RT @CulturedRuffian: 🎶Take me down to the Autocorrect City, wear the grasp is greed nad the grills are preachy.🎶
- Thu, 20:53: RT @MatthewPCrowley: No means no. - Sex Ed and Spanish class
- Thu, 20:53: RT @mastergracey: I bet the coroner of Munchkinland has seen some messed up shit. Dude shows up, sees a crushed corpse, doesn't even blink.…
- Thu, 22:06: Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins @ The Beacon Theatre https://t.co/qwsmUxQy3l
- Fri, 01:22: Jenny Lewis' second set @ The Beacon Theatre https://t.co/Wq7OwrI1vw
- Fri, 11:19: Hand Over That Rabbit Fur�Coat https://t.co/o9DPBOs2n6 https://t.co/kLL1Uyazee </ul
|Thursday, February 4th, 2016|
|Wednesday, February 3rd, 2016|
|Sunday, January 31st, 2016|
|From New York to Narnia
I haven't written a post here in a while, and I'm not sure many people even remember that LiveJournal still exists, but I thought I might do a life update of sorts. For one thing, I received the pictures I commissioned from Becca
, who's really cool and has been having a difficult time of things recently. She drew a picture of Beth with Wally (who's actually sitting on me right now, but I don't know how long he'll stay), and one of Glinda and Ozma.
Yesterday, I went with Beth and Tavie to the Guggenheim Museum, where today is the last day you can get a free year-long membership with a New York City ID from 2015. They're currently renovating a lot of it, so there were quite a few closed spaces, and you couldn't go all the way down the spiral. I'm sure that, as a kid, I would have just wanted to run down that without more than a cursory glance at the exhibits. My parents won't let me forget about the time we went to Ausable Chasm and I ran through as much of it as possible, heedless of the fact that this was really dangerous. I did get some pictures of people working on exhibits down on the bottom floor.
I have to wonder what the purpose of the decapitated panda is. They had a Kandinsky exhibit that I quite liked; I'm not always that big on abstract art, but his paintings are just so colorful and active.
I also thought that this water fountain looked like something from a fairy tale castle.
Yeah, I know the fountain wasn't on display, but I tend to notice side details like that. It's like how, when I'd go to theme parks as a kid, I was fascinated by how minor aspects were made to fit the theme of a particular area, and somewhat bothered when they didn't fit. I remember reading that one reason Walt Disney insisted on the underground passages at Walt Disney World was that it took people out of the fantasy when costumed employees had to walk through the wrong part of the park, like an astronaut in Frontierland. Honestly, though, that probably would have just amused me, like when people wear Starfleet uniforms to the Renaissance Faire and pretend they've gone back in time.
After the museum, we met Stephanie at a Greek restaurant and had dinner there. I had seafood and pasta with tomato sauce, which kind of seems more Italian than Greek, but they are pretty close to each other. There are a lot of similarities between food from different Mediterranean nations. My taste in food is mostly pretty mundane. I like pizza, pasta, shrimp, and hot dogs. I'm not as big on burgers as my wife is, but I still enjoy them, especially when I can get them with a cheese other than American. I can usually find something I like at just about any restaurant, though. My main issues are that I won't eat anything too spicy, I don't much care for onions and peppers, and potatoes and rice aren't that agreeable to me unless they have enough other flavors mixed in (which means I'll generally eat them fried, because pretty much all fried food tastes about the same). I realize I'm a really picky eater, but I think I'm getting better. I gave Beth part of the salad that came with my meal (hers didn't come with one), but I actually thought it was pretty good for a salad. Pretty much everything came with feta cheese, which has a good flavor to it.
I just recently learned that there's an Oz Convention in Philadelphia
this year, so it would be kind of silly if I didn't go to it. I'm seriously considering going to the one in Oregon
as well; the rates actually went up today, but not by that much. A bigger concern is whether I should take Beth, who's not into Oz stuff, but I do like sharing my interests with her. I go to the Monster-Mania Convention
with her, and have learned to appreciate the horror genre, but those conventions are a lot cheaper. On the other hand, you don't get meals there. The last time I went to one of the Oz Club's conventions was in 2000, and I enjoyed them a lot back then. That's not to say there weren't slow parts, but usually I could find something to read or otherwise check out during those. There are so many stories I started reading at conventions that I wish I could find again.
While I read all of Mari Ness's Oz reviews
and am currently keeping up with her write-ups on Disney animated films and their source material
, I wasn't aware until this week that she reviewed the Chronicles of Narnia five years ago
. Reading her thoughts and the comments made me want to write some more about Narnia, but looking back through my previous posts on the series, I've already covered just about everything I can think of. It happens to me every so often that I think I have a good idea for a post, then I find I've already written it. The Narnia series is one I grew up enjoying and still do, but I've also found quite a bit about it objectionable or just plain sloppy. It was pointed out a few times in Mari's posts and the comments on them how small Narnia is, both in terms of land area and how long it lasted. While not explicitly stated in the books, C.S. Lewis' timeline indicated that the entire world lasted a mere 2555 years from creation to destruction. I noted in my brief review of The Last Battle when I re-read it ten years ago
that the Narnian apocalypse came across as fairly small-time and unnecessary. The ape and his donkey partner in a lion skin were not at all threatening, but apparently Aslan thought their playing a trick was enough to wipe out the whole place. But then, attempts to end a popular series are rarely very convincing to the fans. Just ask L. Frank Baum or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (you know, if they were still alive and able to be asked anything).
I had an interview on Thursday for a temporary assignment, and while I don't want to go into too much detail on a public post, it sounded promising. Most of the snow in the area has been cleaned up by now, but the intersections always seem to be particularly bad. There was even a New York Times article about it.
Oh, and I guess this Thursday is when I'll see Jenny Lewis, so that's something to look forward to. Current Mood: okay
- Sat, 12:12: The Rent Is Too Damn High guy supports the NYC landlord. You can't make this stuff up. https://t.co/2u8utzOXEq
- Sat, 12:14: RT @tmbg: Band promo photo https://t.co/e1nVWTQfX7
- Sat, 12:34: RT @WarrenHolstein: Just once I'd like to see a painting of dogs at a Gamblers Anonymous meeting.
- Sat, 12:35: RT @Home_Halfway: I wish I could love anything as much as Ricky Gervais loves pretending like he doesn't care.
- Sat, 12:56: If anchor babies and sanctuary cities are supposed to be bad things, don't make them sound so cool.
- Sat, 17:33: RT @mattkoff: I recommend subscribing to @JebBush's email list if you enjoy being begged for a dollar.
- Sat, 17:35: "My mom says I'm cool." -Milhouse Van Houten and Jeb Bush
- Sat, 18:31: RT @bingowings14: Are we Thor yet? Are we Thor yet? Are we Thor yet? Are we Thor yet? - How to annoy an Avenger when you're on a road trip.
- Sat, 18:34: RT @its_so_lisa: Next politician to rail against regulation should have to drink a glass of Flint water. #FlintWaterCrisis #maddow
- Sat, 22:29: Poor lion. @ Dyker Heights, Brooklyn 11228 https://t.co/GVuK8ynH9n
|Saturday, January 30th, 2016|
- Fri, 19:22: RT @KarlaSchuster: Ben Carson: Four score and seven years ago, in a galaxy far, far away, as God as my witness, I'll never go hungry again.…
|Friday, January 29th, 2016|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Thu, 17:33: RT @ziggafoss: Just once, I want to hear a candidate say to one of these people asking questions at a town hall, "Wow, that is a terribly s…
- Thu, 18:25: RT @JB4Realz: Come over for dinner, my wife makes a pretty mean lasagna. [Dinnertime] Lasagna: "Hey, asshole! Your dad wishes he pulled out…
- Thu, 18:46: RT @MMFlint: The great surrenderer... https://t.co/g8vDw0xbKj
- Thu, 21:04: Ted Cruz is planning on moving the White House to Iowa. #GOPDebate
- Thu, 21:21: Cruz apparently thinks you can determine the effectiveness of the military by counting the planes. #GOPDebate
- Thu, 21:42: Can Trump not showing up really be considered a boycott? #GOPDebate
- Thu, 22:02: RT @drhappyknuckles: thousands of babies murdered in the womb. is this a single womb we're talking about. that 's a fucking big womb. #GOPD…
- Thu, 22:06: RT @Erik_Bergstrom: Ted Cruz looks like ALF shaved. #GOPDebate https://t.co/e2ZEPClewh
- Thu, 22:08: RT @drhappyknuckles: there should be something called a 'rubio's cubio' that's like a rubik's cube but it's made entirely out of marco rubi…
- Thu, 23:03: "Hey, America, have some energy sources!" -God, apparently #GOPDebate
|Thursday, January 28th, 2016|
- Wed, 19:48: Conquering Evil with�Cuteness https://t.co/fqrtCyOjHk https://t.co/2ldcuxIRKO
- Thu, 07:25: If, as @billmaher said, there aren't black roles because Hollywood is appealing to the Chinese market, shouldn't there be more Asian roles?
- Thu, 07:34: I'd say they should bring back the Super Mario Bros Super Show as a Netflix series, but who would replace Captain Lou?
- Thu, 08:36: Go big or go...well, small, I guess. Or medium-sized is always good.
- Thu, 09:20: Why would a cat eat blueberry muffin crumbs? </ul
|Wednesday, January 27th, 2016|
|Monday, January 25th, 2016|
- Sun, 15:49: RT @JohnFugelsang: "See how government has failed you?" - government guys in Flint to the people they failed.
- Sun, 18:26: Ted Cruz is Christian first, American second, asshole third, Cuban fourth, stamp collector fifth, Pokemon fan sixth, and Canadian seventh.
- Sun, 18:29: RT @suddeneternity: MSM: "Sanders & Trump are the same." Me: "Do you often confuse kittens & severed heads?"
- Sun, 18:30: RT @hythemafia: News: Meth lab found inside Wal-Mart in the US...... Officials became suspicious when they noticed an employee making a de…
- Sun, 23:14: If #StarWars has a character named Ren whose real name is Ben, does that mean Rey's real name is Bey?
- Sun, 23:25: Apparently there's some show on about FBI agents getting into a royal rumble with panthers from Carolina.
- Mon, 07:46: Washington DC's Mayor Bowser is helping to remove the snow with her fire breath.
|Sunday, January 24th, 2016|
|Friday, January 22nd, 2016|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Thu, 13:25: 📹 Weirdest Mario Commercials The milk commercial should have just been the Super Show bit where Luigi... https://t.co/O0sq1EbgBf
- Thu, 18:04: Trump and Sanders show what Americans want in a president--someone who doesn't pronounce R's at the end of words.
- Thu, 18:10: RT @AdamWeinstein: One problem w/the Trump/Cruz surge is it leads writers to call union-hating, school-gutting anti-choicers like Kasich & …
- Thu, 18:19: RT @P0TUS: BREAKING: Ted Cruz finally unites Congress in a bi-partisan agreement to despise Ted Cruz.
- Thu, 18:53: RT @TeaPartyCat: After new Iowa poll shows Hillary in 2nd place, the House GOP announces investigation into Bernie Sanders' role in Benghaz…
- Thu, 22:07: Why doesn't Ted Cruz use the fact that his first name is Rafael? He's cool, but crude.
- Thu, 22:35: RT @Plankfan: https://t.co/s99DEOcKgi
- Thu, 23:05: Is Winter Storm Jonas going to be wearing a purity ring?
- Fri, 07:38: Apparently "Pixels" is like Captain N if Kevin were thoroughly unlikable.
- Fri, 07:43: It's weird when the nicest thing you can say about a politician is that they won't keep their promises, but that's how I feel about Trump.
|Thursday, January 21st, 2016|
|Wednesday, January 20th, 2016|
|Monday, January 18th, 2016|
|Sunday, January 17th, 2016|
|Friday, January 15th, 2016|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Thu, 19:07: RT @mattkoff: "I want to make poor people even sadder."-powerball inventor
- Thu, 21:06: RT @Letha_Hughes: Remember: These are not "debates". They're political theater- with long rehearsed and well worn monologues. #GOPDebate
- Thu, 21:29: We need stronger taxes and a lower military! #GOPDebate
- Thu, 21:30: RT @billmaher: Christie: "If i'm president, Hillary won't get within ten miles of the white house"- great, more bridge closures
- Thu, 21:52: RT @P0TUS: Shorter #GOPDebate: Barack Bad! Hillary Bad! Bernie Bad! Healthcare Bad! War and Guns Good!!!
- Thu, 21:54: An A+ rating from the NRA isn't something to brag about, Jeb. #GOPDebate
- Thu, 21:55: Of course we have a huge mental health problem. Just look at who's up on stage. #GOPDebate
- Thu, 21:56: Trump says guns don't pull their own triggers. They would if we put more work into the technology! #GOPDebate
- Thu, 22:06: If these people think New York is too liberal, they should visit our neighborhood. #GOPDebate
- Thu, 22:18: RT @adamzopf: Listen up Mr. President who killed Bin Laden: A half asleep guy who Cuba Gooding played in a TV movie has some terrorism advi…