[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Tuesday, December 12th, 2017|
|Monday, December 11th, 2017|
|Ho Ho Ho, I'm H-H-Hungry
Beth and I attended several holiday-themed events in the past week, which is part of why I haven't written much recently. On Wednesday, we went with Tavie and Stephanie to an Episcopal church on the Upper East Side of Manhattan for a choral performance. It started with a shortened version of Handel's Messiah
, and while there was a group of singers, a lot of the audience joined in and were obviously trained singers themselves. As such, we were silent through most of that. The second part was more of a group effort, with songs that were better known and easier to sing, like "Jingle Bells," "Joy to the World," and "Jolly Old St. Nicholas." There was some multiculturalism in that the Hanukkah song was also included, although I can't say I know Yiddish. I did take German in school, so some of it looked kind of familiar.
On Thursday, we attended a Kevin Geeks Out show at the Alamo Drafthouse. There have apparently been a lot of these, which are multimedia productions that humorously analyze popular culture. This one dealt with Christmas, and included a running gag about Santa Claus getting diarrhea from the food there. Kevin Maher was the host, and there were also presentations by Ryan Arey, Chico Leo, Wendy Mays, Paul Murphy, Bill Scurry, and Kristen Scollee. I don't fully recall which person did which part, although I know Scollee was the one who discussed witches at Christmas, including the Befana
legends as well as more modern television like Bewitched
and some British show, noting the running theme of domesticity. She has a book out that sounds interesting. Another segment looked at the Christmas Fruity Pebbles commercial
, and the oft-discussed questions of why Barney is willing to spend so much on costumes and props to steal Fred's cereal instead of just buying his own
, and how cavemen would know about Christmas and Santa. His conclusion about the former was that it was mostly Barney wanting Fred to acknowledge him, while for the latter he talked about the theory that the Flintstones actually live in a post-apocalyptic future, which would mean Santa survived the apocalypse but did nothing about it other than putting those who caused it on the naughty list.
This bit included some clips from a Flintstones Christmas special, which is not the same one Beth has on tape, although both have Fred filling in for an ailing Santa. Another presenter showed clips from the 1986 Babes in Toyland
with Drew Barrymore and a pre-Bill and Ted
Keanu Reeves, which I remember seeing at least part of on TV. It's heavily inspired by the MGM Wizard of Oz
in that the fantasy characters have real-world counterparts, and the villain's is a guy who sexually harasses his employee. There was a game where we had to ask whether a Google Image Search would bring up a picture of certain celebrities in Santa suits. Much of the audience, including Beth and me, didn't expect to see Jimi Hendrix in one, but there he is
Also included were Great Moments in Bad Christmas Specials, a collection of movie clips with holiday robberies (most, but not all, including a robber dressed as Santa), a talk on Christmas novelty songs, and a run-down of the recent genre of conservative Christian films fighting against the imaginary War on Christmas. One of these last was Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas
, which we watched last year
, and I don't recommend anyone else do so. I do recommend the Kevin Geeks Out show, though.
We took a bus down to South Jersey on Friday, and on Saturday we went with Beth's Uncle John and cousin Marji to see John Waters in Philadelphia.
We'd been to his Christmas show a few times (that is to say Beth and I have), and a lot of it was the same, but there were some new bits to it. He talked about how he wanted more riots for Christmas, what an anarchist living creche would look like, and his idea for an amusement park with only Gravitrons for rides. Of course, his usual question about whether anyone sexualizes Santa was in there. There was a question-and-answer session afterwards. Current Mood: rushed
|Sunday, December 10th, 2017|
- Sat, 16:24: They should change it to "Lock ME up." https://t.co/BOJI1BVdmq
- Sat, 16:42: RT @TeaPainUSA: Trump toured the National Civil Rights Museum today, but he went in reverse order so it would have a happy endin'.
- Sat, 16:46: RT @InsaneCrazyGuy: Guys on here posting dick pics have no idea about the power of posting dog pics
- Sat, 17:01: RT @zim2918: Honey bee and apple blossoms https://t.co/6mgqyPUjQo
- Sat, 17:23: RT @PFTompkins: After they gave Megyn Kelly a show, why would NBC question anyone’s judgment? https://t.co/856s7iFe7B
- Sat, 17:23: RT @TeaPainUSA: It's not fair to say the GOP supports #RoyMoore just because he's a pedophile. A lot of 'em support him because he's a rac…
- Sat, 23:10: Is it that hard to figure out that the guy who says some Nazis are good people probably doesn't have Israel's best interests in mind?
- Sat, 23:11: RT @ACreativeMuggle: Retweet if you're a white American who can't stand the Raging Orange Cheeto. https://t.co/nr5LIMdIqL
- Sun, 00:57: RT @dougbies: You’re pretty, maybe this picture of my gross penis will make you leave your husband ~ guys on Twitter
|Saturday, December 9th, 2017|
|Friday, December 8th, 2017|
|Thursday, December 7th, 2017|
|Wednesday, December 6th, 2017|
|Tuesday, December 5th, 2017|
- Mon, 12:40: RT @DavidKlion: ACTUALLY Orrin Hatch wasn't saying poor kids are lazy mooches who deserve to die, he was saying their parents are lazy mooc…
- Mon, 13:12: Detective Pikachu? Why isn't it P.I. Kachu?
- Mon, 13:24: No, see, billionaires need a tax cut because they're spending so much money on bribing politicians.
- Mon, 13:43: RT @Causey4: @EJT___ I feel dumb retweeting a huge account when I have 140 followers. Like I think I'm helping, but I'm really just yelling…
- Mon, 13:51: RT @FrankConniff: If a child molester is necessary to enact your agenda, there is something seriously the fuck wrong with your agenda.
|Monday, December 4th, 2017|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Sun, 12:42: RT @MarsinCharge: It’s time to bring my favorite holiday meme back https://t.co/xvOKYf8DaH
- Sun, 13:10: RT @KrangTNelson: 2017: welp this is it. this is as bad as it can get for american politics 2023: Senator Chef Boyardee Jr. introduces bil…
- Sun, 13:14: I pity the fool who walks around nekkid! https://t.co/TdQi62X6Fv
- Sun, 13:22: I think people like Roy Moore know full well they're doing something illegal, but they don't think they're doing an… https://t.co/kwAuUwECdO
- Sun, 13:26: RT @ThePlumLineGS: Shame on those who treat helping the poor as solely a matter of charity, rather than one of societal obligation. https:/…
- Sun, 13:26: RT @daveweigel: Advice from an Obama admin econ policy vet: "Democats should never again allow Republicans to complain that we can’t afford…
- Sun, 13:32: RT @robdelaney: What’s elegant about Trump is that he’s *exactly* equal parts stupid & evil. Like a perfect yin & yang of miracle whip & bl…
- Sun, 13:37: RT @jonrog1: I really wish we had one state where we just let all the “taxation is theft” fuckwits live. You rock that out. Everybody thin…
- Sun, 13:52: All pigs are female. Well, except Link Hogthrob and Dr. Strangepork, I guess. https://t.co/GCLmm8AqA4
- Sun, 13:54: Isn't Tom Brady the guy who deflated footballs, then ran off laughing while the children who had been playing catch… https://t.co/7K3tdYKBwS
|Sunday, December 3rd, 2017|
|Saturday, December 2nd, 2017|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Fri, 17:26: Then what was all the crap about asking their parents? Can't he keep his lies consistent? https://t.co/obasehaFmc
- Fri, 17:47: RT @audiomagnate: @renato_mariotti https://t.co/20DeoV9Tmf
- Fri, 17:50: RT @DanAmira: I think Trump's plan is that if he constantly gives Mueller more obstruction to investigate the investigation can never actua…
- Fri, 19:04: RT @karyewest: Sexual predators got outted for harassing women and all dudes got out of it is "Damn we can't talk to women no more." Y'all…
- Fri, 20:19: RT @broklynplumber: RT to see what Mario is gonna eat below him https://t.co/giLqo6yeDf
- Fri, 20:26: RT @Mikel_Jollett: [Republican strategy meeting]: "Guys we're getting hammered for colluding with Russia & supporting a child molester. Wh…
- Fri, 21:18: RT @RealDonalDrumpf: Jared Kushner is merely a low-level intern & coffee boy who has fathered three of my grandchildren with a woman I hard…
- Sat, 01:17: RT @drewtoothpaste: Did i turn it off. I made this. https://t.co/OkxyUcQlGZ https://t.co/rl1JoBkMR2
- Sat, 02:11: RT @sarahljaffe: so deeply tired of leftists posturing about "nobody is talking about/doing X." 98% of time y'all are wrong and a simple go…
- Sat, 02:56: RT @Kyle_Lierman: During our Obama White House days we proposed #FreeCommunityCollege & #PreKforAll which would have cost $130 billion over…
|Friday, December 1st, 2017|
|Thursday, November 30th, 2017|
|Wednesday, November 29th, 2017|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Tue, 13:11: Should I change my Twitter name to HoHoHoVat for the holiday season?
- Tue, 13:16: RT @nocontxtmario: https://t.co/uXtJ5FILuy
- Tue, 13:46: RT @TheOnlyTrout: Claus and Ak The Master Woodsman's relationship is starting to get a bit shady. https://t.co/hDM5YBmVQs
- Tue, 13:49: RT @AmandaMarcotte: “Believe Women” is just shorthand for “give women’s stories the same level of trust you give to men, instead of dismiss…
- Tue, 15:11: I miss the days when you could say "Happy Holidays" without conservatives construing it as a threat to Santa.
- Tue, 15:34: RT @sadydoyle: Imagine being the President and still feeling this empty inside https://t.co/dw1IzayIhv
- Tue, 15:36: I don't know if Bill O'Reilly started the War on Christmas thing or just popularized it. Regardless, he's in disgra… https://t.co/DR2ibrndtb
- Tue, 15:41: RT @ScientistMel: #ScienceHumor 😂🤓 https://t.co/XXaU2Pya7B
- Tue, 15:52: RT @gamespite: Man, we're getting way too many Mega Man games this year. https://t.co/Sr46cqT4Cm
- Tue, 16:35: Why hasn't Jack Frost been fired after all those accusations of non-consensual nose-nipping?
|Tuesday, November 28th, 2017|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Mon, 19:11: RT @kero_dora0116: スライムがみている https://t.co/JNMctWvJNM
- Mon, 19:36: Leader: @Nintendo_Legend Right Hand: @JoyAnnReid Badass: @smbsshowbot Fashionista: @SuperMarioFact Gunner:… https://t.co/2rNmqX8v8c
- Mon, 19:40: RT @WKatCrook: #IThrewOut this little picture.... https://t.co/LbDnFSMKfa
- Mon, 20:03: RT @MetroidDatabase: Samus by konjakonjak https://t.co/6QzYL7LHaJ #Metroid #Metroid31 https://t.co/MjXE0ebL7j
- Mon, 20:06: I guess that's technically true, but not the adjective I would have chosen. https://t.co/PbUUQlneh9
- Mon, 20:12: RT @pixelatedboat: Melania is getting a little defensive about her decorating choices https://t.co/vuQM4DRmwI
- Mon, 20:19: No, "Bowser's Minions" is not a "Despicable Me" crossover. You can rest easy now.
- Mon, 20:54: @doublemaximus Happy birthday! https://t.co/RkmkptPM05
- Tue, 08:24: RT @sadydoyle: Above and beyond anything else about this NYT thing: We already know that Nazis are people. We've covered the fact that Nazi…
- Tue, 08:28: RT @drewtoothpaste: cops are just normal people like you and me. choke a deer on thanksgiving and draw a gun on it. thats just thursday for…
|Monday, November 27th, 2017|
- Mon, 11:00: I think a lot of people are more excited by Thanksgiving dinner than I am. I like it, but it's not something I look forward to.
|Sunday, November 26th, 2017|
|Saturday, November 25th, 2017|
|Friday, November 24th, 2017|
( Read more...Collapse )
- Thu, 12:34: Men are you doing today? https://t.co/znF7BCFCLW
- Thu, 12:44: RT @emuparadise: This is how retro game characters do #Thanksgiving! :P #poorluigi https://t.co/W9KQtotK4x
- Thu, 12:46: RT @sonic_hedgehog: Happy Thanksgiving! https://t.co/hySP6OqGmO
- Thu, 15:29: I've heard the Justice League movie suffers from bad writing, or as it's technically called, scriptonite.
- Thu, 16:32: I couldn't get the red snapper Franklin wanted. Guess I shouldn't have traded my last one for a box with nothing in… https://t.co/LEklllMcfi
- Thu, 16:38: RT @DaPatMac: current mood: deflated or damaged macy's thanksgiving day parade balloons https://t.co/hLaAfcbXgD
- Thu, 16:42: RT @Yoshi1up: #HappyThanksgiving2017! Here's a picture of Brian from Family Man serving a beautiful thanksgiving chicken! <3 https://t.co/H…
- Thu, 17:13: RT @feministabulous: tfw you realize trump respects turkeys more than women. https://t.co/OEmcxoXpGv
- Thu, 17:25: RT @pixelatedboat: The Santa Clause https://t.co/HJDnPsDnNG
- Thu, 17:29: RT @TechnicallyRon: In all fairness Brits probably don't do Thanksgiving because if we had to take a day off for the anniversary of us fuck…