- Being at some place I don't enjoy with nothing to do, and having no way to leave
- Being at some place I DO enjoy, but either having it turn out to be a total bust, or my missing the fun part. I've had several of these involving Oz Conventions.
- Packing. I apparently dread this so much that it keeps popping up in my subconscious.
- Being in places I remember from childhood, like the first house we lived in, an old school, or my grandparents' old house
- Taking a wrong turn and ending up somewhere a long way away from where I started. As disturbing as these dreams sometimes are, I kind of wish that could happen in real life. If I were to figure out how these instant transport roads work, it would save me a lot of time.
- Having someone criticize my tastes, which I guess is actually somewhat realistic. While there's definitely some variety in, say, the musical tastes of different people I talk to on the Internet, but it seems like most of them are at least AWARE of the stuff I listen to. When I'm exposed to the outside world, it can be jarring how out of touch I really am. When I was working at cleaning out the toy store where I was employed during part of graduate school, we were allowed to bring in music to listen to. I remember bringing in Camper Van Beethoven, Frank Black, and Young Fresh Fellows albums, and my younger co-workers HATED them. Granted, I didn't choose their albums that I would consider best for a beginner, but I have the feeling they would have had the same reaction even if I had. They were listening primarily to the Offspring (and, to be fair, I don't really have anything against them) and the Dave Matthews Band (who are just boring, to my mind, even if you ignore all the frat boy associations). I know I listen to some bizarre music, but most of the stuff I brought in was, at least to my mind, pretty catchy and inoffensive. Come on, am I THAT out of touch? (The answer, by the way, is yes.)
- Video games. I've noticed that, when I have a dream about The Sims in particular, it usually leads to my really wanting to play it in real life. In my dream last night, I wanted to play the game, but didn't currently have access to a computer. In real life, I actually have The Sims 2 installed (I know The Sims 3 is out, but I don't think I'm ready for it yet), but the last saved data I have are from before I installed the Pets expansion pack on my last computer. I still have the hard drive from that old computer, and I seem to recall once hooking up a disconnected hard drive to another computer without having to root around inside it, but I forget how I did that. Any advice is welcome, because there are a few other things I wanted to get from that old drive, too.
Dream Themes and Tangents
I just got back from my second trip to Walt Disney World. The first time was with Beth for our honeymoon in 2008, which you can read about starting…
I'm going to write a little about the winter holidays, although really that was only a few days with regular work days in between them. I did take…
I turn the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything today. Forty-two is a number Lewis Carroll used a lot as well, and I've written on the topic…